In Mexico there is a wide variety of supermarkets, whether large or small, local or international, and all offer a diverse variety of products. In this article we will talk about the Walmart multinational supermarket in Mexico. We’ll unwrap it fully in history, footprint, reach, and service options.
Going to the supermarket is quite a ritual. You must make a list of the missing products, choose a free time of your time, arrive at the supermarket location, choose and search for your products, pay and return home. For many it is a whole therapeutic process, relaxation or simply a moment they enjoy. Currently you can make your purchases in a traditional way but also online and this is how Walmart offers its services in Mexico.
- What is Walmart?
- Mexico: Walmart Group
- Walmart presence in Mexico
- Warehouses and physical stores in Mexico
- Online Walmart Store (eCommerce)
Walmart is an American multinational retailing and operating chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores. It was founded by Sam Walton on July 2, 1962, incorporated on October 31, 1969, and has been listed on the New York Stock Exchange since 1972. Its headquarters are located in Bentonville, Arkansas.
It operates under the name “Walmart” in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Central America, as “Asda” in the United Kingdom, as the “Seiyu Group” in Japan and as “Best Price” in India. It has wholly owned operations in Argentina, Chile, Brazil and Canada. It also owns and operates the Sam’s Club retail stores.
Walmart is the largest public corporation in the world, according to the 2020 Fortune Global 500 list (Forbes). Being the largest retailer in the world that offers the largest private employment offer in the world, with more than 2 million employees- It is a family business, because the Walton family owns 48% of the company. It is also one of the most valuable companies in the world.
Walmart is the company with the highest revenue in the world, almost half a trillion dollars a year, as well as the largest private employer in the world with 2.3 million employees according to Forbes magazine.
Walmart’s first store outside the United States opened in Mexico in 1991 which was a Sam’s Club in Mexico City. In 1997, Walmart acquired a majority position in Cifra S.A. of C.V. which is Mexico’s largest retailer, and in 2000 the name changed to Walmart de México. Walmart Mexico is also a publicly traded company on the Mexican stock market known as Walmex.
In 2021, Walmart Mexico turned 30 years operating Walmart hypermarkets, Bodega Aurrera discount stores, Superama supermarkets, Walmart Express supermarkets, and Sam’s Clubs.
These formats are uniquely positioned to offer customers nationwide a local shopping experience that meets their needs like low prices, large assortment and high quality of products, and close proximity to customers’ homes. Walmart stores across Mexico and Central America offer a variety of ways for customers to shop conveniently including home delivery and pickup services in many of its locations.
Walmart operates through a wide variety of physical stores, with prices and products that vary depending on the area where they are located, such as:
- Walmart. Hypermart stores provide the widest assortment of goods from groceries and fresh, to apparel and general merchandise at everyday low prices. This format offers convenient same day delivery and pickup for online orders. This was the first format that emerged from the joint venture of Cifra S.A. de C.V. with Walmart combining the best of both businesses.
- Bodega Aurrera / Mi Bodega Aurrera / Bodega Aurrera Express. Discount store of Walmart in Mexico. It offers basic merchandise, food and household items at low prices.
- Superama. Neighborhood supermarkets located in local, residential areas. They focus on providing the local community access to fresh food at low prices.
- Walmart Express. This one is an easy and quick access grocery store where customers can find fresh and high quality grocery brands at everyday low prices.
- Sam’s Club. It is a membership warehouse club that focuses on businesses and consumers who seek the best possible prices. Sam’s Club provides their members the highest value for their money, offering great items at disruptive prices, giving them a better shopping experience online and in club.
Timeline of Walmart presence in Mexico
- 1965 – Inauguration of the first Superama in Mexico.
- 1977 – Aurrera is listed on the mexican stock exchange. The first Distribution Center in Mexico begins operations. Inauguration of the Aurrera Training and Development Institute.
- 1986 – Grupo Cifra S.A. is created. of C.V. in Mexico.
- 1990 – Aurrera introduces the barcode in Mexico.
- 1991 – The alliance between Grupo Cifra and Walmart Stores is finalized. Inauguration of the first Sam’s Club in Mexico.
- 1993 – The conversion of Aurrera stores into Walmart begins.
- 1997 – Cifra and Walmart Stores merge and create a single company.
- 2003 – The Walmart de México Foundation begins activities.
- 2008 – Walmart de México turns 50 & Bodega Aurrera Express is born.
- 2009 – The merger process of Walmart de México and Walmart Centroamérica begins.
When it comes to supermarkets in Mexico, no company comes close to Walmart’s reach. Overall, with the thousands of stores it operates, Walmart’s revenue in Mexico gives it a 68% market share of the country’s supermarket industry. Walmart has been working to make life easier for its customers and, through investments and business opportunities, has successfully installed the following supermarkets in Mexico:
- Bodega Aurrera Express: 1,209
- Bodega Aurrera: 564
- Mi Bodega Aurrera: 431
- Walmart Supercenter: 295
- Sam’s Club: 166
- Walmart Express: 97
- Superama: 2
With a total of 2,764 stores according to its official website, in the states of Aguascalientes, Baja California Norte and Baja California Sur, Campeche, Chiapas, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Colima, Mexico City, Durango, State of Mexico, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Hidalgo, Jalisco, Michoacán, Morelos, Nayarit, Nuevo León, Oaxaca, Puebla, Querétaro, Quintana Roo, San Luis Potosí Sinaloa, Sonora, Tabaco, Tamaulipas, Tlaxcala, Veracruz, Yucatán and Zacatecas. We leave you a list with the location of each one on the Walmart website.
It wasn’t until 2016 that Walmart broke into e-commerce with its $3 billion acquisition of online retail site Jet, but in May 2020 Walmart discontinued Jet and refocused its e-commerce development on Walmart.com. The growing popularity of Walmart.com among consumers indicates that this marketplace will continue to grow.
In this part of the Walmart website, you can find grocery items, home appliances, mobile phones, TV screens, video games, and more. It is the digital section of the Walmart Supercenter. Deliveries depend on the type of item, but tend to be 3-5 business days after purchase.
Here users can find what they need for their pantry and receive it the same day of purchase, depending on availability and hours. Payment facilities, promotions and variety are offered at a low delivery cost.
Keep informed of the most relevant news on our Telegram channel